In San Antonio, it’s peak summertime. It creates a risk of ticks and flea infestation on your property. Categorized as parasites, they consume the blood of humans, household pets, and wild animals.
If you are surrounded by pets, you are most likely to struggle with these kinds of pests. Ticks and fleas are most likely to be seen in dogs and cats. Your pets are likely to carry them into your home from the outdoors. Even if your pets spend most of their time indoors, ticks can still infect them. They can also make their way into your property through fabric or fur. What’s even worse? These species reproduce quickly and soon spread throughout the premises.
Dangers involved in tick and flea infestation
Ticks crawl on people and pets. They usually seek warm locations near the head, groin, or armpits. By the time you know about these tiny creatures, they have already laid thousands of eggs inside your house.
Fleas and ticks usually attack your pets as they tend to live on dogs, cats, other warm-blooded animals, and birds. Their fur and feathers make it easy for fleas to hide and reproduce. Once they bite, they pose a host of potential problems ranging from:
- Lyme disease
- Flea allergy
- Hair loss
- Excessive scratching, licking, or biting
Make sure you constantly check your buddies and keep them away from these tiny creatures.
Fleas and ticks can also bite you. Their saliva can have a numbing-like effect. Once attacked, the skin can often become red and irritated where the tick attaches to the body. However, they won’t survive on humans for long. Still, you can experience the potential side effects.
Prevention tips for flea and tick control
Ticks and fleas can quickly infest your San Antonio home if preventive measures are not taken quickly. Prompt removal of these pests is a must. Follow these tried and tested tips for flea and tick control:
- Restrict hiding places for pests by keeping the grass cut short, weeds pulled, and shrubs and branches trimmed.
- Install a fence, keep lids on trash cans, don’t feed pets in exterior areas, and remove bird feeders. It reduces the likelihood of fleas and ticks traveling through the yard.
- Keep your pets clean and sanitized to limit any eggs.
- Wash your pet beds regularly with hot water.
- Vacuum carpeted areas and other portions of your home
- Apply insecticides to baseboards. Make sure they are not harmful to your pets
- Disinfect your house from time to time
- Call a pest control service if there is a severe flea infestation
Respond to tick or flea infestation immediately
Once flea and tick infestation goes out of control, it’s better to contact a licensed local pest control professional. Accurate Pest Control makes sure that you, your pets, and the local environment are free from ticks and larvae. Reach out to us today to get the best pest control in San Antonio.