Are Scorpions Poisonous? Can They Kill You?
July 29, 2022
Scorpions are predatory animals of the arachnid family, and their sting is extremely dangerous. The pain is felt instantly, and swelling with a red patch will appear within minutes. It can be fatal too.
There are about 1,000 species of scorpions in the world. Scorpions have eight legs, a pair of claws, and a flexible, segmented tail. Scorpion stings are mostly harmless despite some of them producing lethal venoms, deadly for humans. The sting causes swelling with a stinging sensation.
Scorpions’ stinger is at the top of their tail, with two glands containing venom, a poisonous substance. Scorpions sting to defend themselves from humans. People don’t need medical treatment; typically, they can use ice and antihistamines to relieve the pain.
Most scorpion stings cause pain, but they are not deadly. Only 5% of scorpion bites need medical treatment. Only about 30 of the species of scorpions have lethal stings. The most dangerous bite is that of the bark scorpion found in Arizona. They also live in some parts of California, New Mexico, and Texas. You must go to the doctor if you are stung by a bark scorpion.
Some Possible Complications
Scorpion venoms cause pain and can have an adverse effect on the nervous system. A child may be more severely affected than an adult.
- You can feel numbness all over the body with muscle twitching.
- There will be shortness of breath.
- There can be some unusual neck, head, and eye movements.
- You can experience thickness in the tongue or excessive salivating and drooling.
- You can have seizures.
- You can have nausea
- Some may experience vomiting
- The heartbeat may be irregular with high blood pressure
- Some may have severe abdominal pain.
Some Preventive Measures
Scorpions come out during the night. People can avoid these hours (for strolling). Or you can wear shirts with long sleeves, full covered bottoms. Scorpions tend to protect themselves by hiding in wardrobes, bed linen, and shoes. So look out and be alert when handling these things. Scorpions usually come out in the summer during hiking or camping seasons. They sting on the hands, arms, feet, and legs and inject deadly poison.
Some other measures are:
- Always wear protective covered footwear.
- Be cautious while moving logs and rocks while hiking or camping in the woods.
- Never touch or try to catch scorpions with bare hands. They can sting instantly.
- Antivenom can be taken as a preventive measure against scorpion stings. It is most effective before the bite.
Accurate Pest is the best pest control in San Antonio. We are committed to serving you and freeing your homes from this poisonous animal. Our trained experts are experienced in providing the best pest treatment to residences and offices. Our chemical and non-chemical treatments are highly functional against all types of pests. We can eliminate unwanted scorpions from your home and assist you in keeping safe.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"This was my first experience with accurate pest control. The rep arrived on time and quickly did a good job inside and out."
Contact Accurate Pest Control Today!(210) 934-8440
Reach out to us for pest control in San Antonio, TX and the surrounding areas.